Previously, this website belonged to the Ministry of Regional Development, Forestry & Water Management in Croatia. The ministry later changed its name to the Ministry of Regional Developments and EU Funds after it was tasked by the mandate of overseeing the funds from the European Union.
The logo above used to be the ministry’s logo. To access the current ministry of the website click here.
The Ministry of Regional Development and EU Funds was in charge of the administrative and other issues related to:
- Preparation and executing the county development strategies and the formation of an interplayed web for scheduling, co-coordinating, administrating and funding of regional development of an area.
- Enabling the harmonization of participants involved in different sectors of the ministry and coordinating all activities which pertain the different institutions of the ministry. Such activities include those that deal with planning in various sectors, executing those plans as well as follow up plans to evaluate the performance. Those projects which lag behind also need to be encouraged through appraisal of the policies.
- Making proposals of any amendments needed in the systems used for county developments.
- Making recommendations and organizing the execution of state incentive and county development projects while ensure that they are well implemented and making follow up to ensure there effectiveness.
- organizing and also managing how various institutions of concern as well as various departments are working and overseeing all their activities to ensure that they are in harmony with EU policies are regards their implementation and management.
- Ensuring that all activities are in harmony with all the stakeholders concerned by mapping out strategic planning for the projects execution.
- Preparing the necessary documentation needed for regulating any developments policies by prioritizing the use of EU funds according to development strategies.
- Managing EU projects and ensuring harmony institutions and states as per the jurisdiction of the ministry.
- ensuring sustainability in developments of all regions by formulating plans for management and financial developments.
- providing return assistance and housing care to refugees, displaced persons and returnees, reconstruction of housing units, dwellings, infrastructure facilities, public facilities and all other buildings that were damaged or destroyed in the homeland war, but are of importance for the development of war-destroyed areas
- administrative and other affairs related to participation in the work of the Bodies of the European Union in the light of issues which fall under the jurisdiction of this Ministry
This domain was gifted to me and I decided to create content detailing various ways through which regional developments can help uplift the standards of living of people living in rural areas. Below I’ve published some interesting topics which can be accessed by clicking on the topics.
Journey to a Green Life
After my retirement, I felt that I needed to do something which would add value to my life. My two sons were already married and had moved out of the house while my wife had also retired too. She wanted us to move and settle down in our rural farm which we had built a vacation home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I didn’t share her suggestions and I wanted something different. Something worth making us happy for the few years that we had left on earth: something to help us live a purposeful life.
I grew up in New Mexico in a rural farm before moving to Chicago for my higher education. I then joined the military where I worked for 7 years. Later on, I moved to Germany where I had found a new employment opportunity, working in an oil corporation. It is here that I found the love of my life and we got married. We were blessed with two sons. For the next 26 years, we lived there and would visit New Mexico for vacations during the holidays.
Now that my wife and I were both retired and my sons had moved out and were married, I felt that it was time to bid Germany adieu. But I wasn’t ready to go back to New Mexico as my wife was suggesting. Also, I never wanted to create any rift between us by failing to agree on the settlement issues.
To show her that I still loved and cared for her, I surprised her with a trip to Zimbabwe, Africa for a vacation where we would renew out matrimonial vows and commitment to each other. There is also something which drove me to suggest Africa – during my stay at the military, I had developed a passion for game hunting and I had become a seasoned hunter. Therefore I was aware of the hunting opportunities in Africa and was absolutely sure that we would have a nice holiday there.
Need for a Sustainable Environment
Hangwe National Park is renowned for its vast variety of wildlife species as well as good hunting spots. We spent the first two days there sightseeing and having fun as we renewed our love and rekindled the old memories when we were young lovers. On the third day of the vacation, I obtained a hunting permit. My wife decided that she would come along with me because she didn’t want to stay at the hotel where we had checked in all by herself.
In the company of the hunting guides, we went south of Matobo to hunt blue wildebeests. It was all fun as we met and socialized with other hunters. That afternoon as we were returning back, we came across a group of wardens who were chasing some scavengers. Upon stopping to inquire, we realized that it was an ugly scene where two African cheetahs had been shot. There was fresh blood at the scene which meant that the act had taken place a few hours ago.
This was the turning point of my life. As much as I loved hunting, I always shared my two cents sentiments about the need to conserve wildlife especially those which are endangered. Hunting of big cats was prohibited in the park and I couldn’t see the reason why anyone had to go against the regulations and hunt one. My wife too felt sorry for the animals and even though the wardens told us that illegal poaching was rife in Africa, she found it absolutely irresponsible for anyone to be involved in such a vice.
In the evening as we were having dinner, we engaged in a lengthy talk about the day and the poaching incident. She felt that we could be part of wildlife conservation in Africa as well as advocating the need for a sustainable environment.
We all should advocate for an Ecological Balance
We decided to temporarily settle there for a few years so that we could help the wildlife authorities and other concerned institutions in the fight against poaching. In addition, our other agenda was the need to advocate for increased forest covers and to ensure that illegal logging was curbed. Forests are homes to these animals and other species which helps bring a balance in ecosystem; hence they need to be well protected. They are also water catchment areas and the best way to protect water resources is by protecting the forests.
Everyone needs to understand that ecological deficits can ruin sustainable living and also bring destruction to our natural resources. If such a situation was to happen, then humankind would be treading on a dangerous path; there will be high rates of desertification, our flora and fauna will become extinct and water resources would become scarce.
Think of a situation where agriculture becomes nonviable because of desertification and water too being scarce, irrigation becomes a privilege for just a few people. Where will the less privileged people in the society be fending from? Where will the poor, the physically challenged and the minority get food from?
Therefore we should all take part in ensuring a sustainable living. My wife and I had initially planned to stay in Zimbabwe for a few years, but the more we were involved in advocating for a green living, the more we fell in love with the country. We finally settled down there and launched a local NGO which would help us in detailing the necessary policies needed for a sustainable living as well as help other environmental activists have a platform for voicing their concerns about the need to care for the environment and creating awareness on environmental conservation through organizing and staging education forums and campaigns.